How to Use GoToMeeting
Okay, don’t freak out that this is a lot of detail – it is really quite easy to do, but I’ve provided every single step, that means it looks more complex that it is. Any problems or questions contact me.
- The ideal situation is to use an Internet-connected device that has good speakers, a microphone and a webcam. We can still work together if you don’t have a webcam but the experience won’t be as good. You should test your speakers or microphone before our meeting.
- Before our scheduled meeting, I will send you a link that has a variety of ways for you to connect. It will look something like to the right.
- If you are joining through your Internet Browser (we recommend Chrome), just click on the link like the one above. There will be no charge to you in using this software.
- If you find your speakers or microphone aren’t good, you can log in with a computer so you can see me and then call in with a landline or mobile phone to the number above (This one is for Canada but if you are elsewhere we will provide you with that number.) This is a toll free number but, especially with your mobile device, you should check your data plan that you won’t hit any over charges.
If you are coming onto this GoToMeeting call and you are from outside of Canada, let me know and I’ll adjust the toll free number (right).
What happens when you click on the link?
- Once you click on the link (right), a small window will open called “GoToOpener” either click on that, or another window will open asking you to download the “Opener”. Click on that, a small utility will be downloaded to your computer to run the meeting – don’t worry this is virus-free and has less than 2 kb in memory. It will not hurt or change your computer.
- Buffering is the biggest challenge with virtual meetings. It is ideal to use a desktop computer as that is hardwired, but if you are using WIFI, we recommend you close all other windows in your browser and, turn off all other devices that would be connected to the Internet and that includes your TVs. The Bandwidth connection for you to get online can only handle so much activity, too many things using it means you will get buffering.
- An even better way to do this is to download the GoToMeeting app as then you don’t even need a browser to access the meeting. All you do is type in the meeting number and access code (see above)
The interface is different for every computer system, below are some examples of what your computer screen will look like when you click on the invitation link and connect, and where to find the controls.
The invitation you get by email will look like this.
(Text is Italic & Red will not be in the invite but are for definition.)
Meeting Title, Date and Time
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
(If you are logging in with a Browser, just click this link or copy and paste into your browser.)
Using the app? The meeting number is 530553213
You can also dial in using your phone.
(For supported devices, tap a one-touch number below to join instantly.)
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9391
– One-touch: tel:+16474979391,,530553213#
Access Code: 530-553-213
(If your speakers or microphone on you computer are not good, then connect through the link and then use the number to call in with your phone. *** Just be aware you will have data charges so check your plan.)
New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts: https://global.gotomeeting.com/install/530553213
(This puts an app on your desktop and automatically launches this meeting.)
The circles at the top indicate where your webcam controls are. At the bottom, it shows your controls for the microphone (red circle) Red mic means it is turned off. The webcam is shown with a blue arrow, click to launch your webcam or turn it off. The phone icon ends the meeting. Other controls are at the top right, if you need to change your name you would do it under the gear icon.
The icons at the top right turn on the microphone and webcam (video icon). Red is off, green is on. The gear icon is the settings with other information. You can set the webcam view by moving the three lines (circled) up or down depending on how large you want to see the presentation. Other controls are at the top right, if you need to change your name you would do it under the gear icon.
Circled in the control panel is shown on the right, click on the orange arrow to expand. this will let you turn on your microphone and webcam (video icon). Red is off, Green is on. On a mac if you need to change your name, click on Preferences.
The control pan opens up for chat, or turning on the microphone. Red for off, green for on. At the top you can turn on your microphone and set your webcam to view people either on the top of right. You can also set it to show only the speaker. On a mac if you need to change your name, click on Preferences.